VDOE Computer Science Instruction Plan Writer Request
8 January, 2020
The VDOE is asking computer science leaders and instructional specialists to assist in the writing of Computer Science Instructional Plans (CSIPs). These instructional plans will be developed to support teachers as they integrate Computer Science instruction.
When recommending teachers, the VDOE would like you to consider the following:
1. Experience: we would prefer that teachers have a minimum of three years of teaching experience.
2. Lesson plan development experience.
3. Ability to address special populations when developing lesson plans (SPED, EL, etc)
4. Experience developing lesson plans that are cross disciplinary in nature (particularly at elementary) or address a STEM transdisciplinary approach to instruction, as appropriate for the standard.
The plans that will be generated through this group will be informed by best practices in computer science education. CSIP writers will be selected to represent the different superintendents regions as well as different division sizes/characteristics. Writers will be paid a $1000 stipend to write lesson plans aligned to the bullets at each grade level. We will select three writers per grade level with one lead instructional plan developer per grade band.
Responsibilities of selected writers include:
1. Development of lesson plans aligned to the bullets at assigned grade level. Lesson plan structure must align to the format indicated by VDOE.
2. Collaboration with grade band lead developer to ensure alignment and feasibility of plans.
3. Commitment to attend a two day work session at VDOE. Lodging, travel, and a per Diem for food will be provided to writers.
4. Optional: We would like to create videos of lessons being implemented in the classroom. A stipend will be provided to those teachers that have been selected by the VDOE team and that are willing to work with us in the creation of these videos.
Lesson plans created through this process will be posted on the VDOE website as well as in the Open Education Repository. VDOE staff reserve the right to modify any lessons developed in this process as needed.
Applicants need to complete the Computer Science Instructional Plan Writer Application to be considered. Be aware that as part of the screening process, VDOE will contact the supervisors of chosen applicants.
If you have any questions or need any additional information please contact Timothy Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of STEM and Innovation
101 N 14th Street
James Monroe Building, 23rd Floor
Richmond, VA 23219